How To Setup The Bungee Bowsprit Retraction System?

J70RCHR1

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to best setup the bungee system so the bowsprit automatically retracts when I release the bowsprit line.  The more detail you can provide the better.

1.  Where are you anchoring the bungee to the boat and the bowsprit?  I have heard some people are tying it off pretty far back toward the stern of the boat.  

2.  What length of bungee do I need and what diameter of bungee are you using?

3.  What other hardware do I need to set this up?

4.  Anything else I should be aware of or need to know?

Thanks for the help,

Rhett

J70 363 "Down the Line"

• 2 months later...

What I have done is:

- Use 1/4" bungee

- Tie the forward need on to the knot of the pole launch line (note: I put a knot on both sides of the hole in the tube to prevent movement/chafing).

- I extend the bungee back and tie it to a small webbing loop that is fastened to a bolt protruding underside of one of the jib sheet cleats (remove the nut, slip the webbing loop over the end of the bolt, add a small washer, and retighten the nut). This is pretty much a straight line pulling the pole in.

- Experiment with tension until you get enough to send the pole in crisply without creating a mach3 missile (and a huge bang). I've also put a stopper knot in the launch line such that the pole launch line takes the stress of the pole return rather than banging the pole end against the boat (wouldn't want the pole end to pop off!).

Archived